Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 September 2015

A classic Autumn look on a budget


Autumn makeup, how I love you. Autumn is my favourite season, September my favourite month, and with their arrival comes a desire, no, a need, to add new shades to my makeup collection. 

But my goodness it costs a lot! I've been drooling over the Chanel and Nars Fall Collections and sadly realising that I can't afford to stock up on my favourites and still afford food, hot water and an internet connection.

So that's where this post started - how can I get the same lovely autumnal shades without breaking the bank? After a good hunt around online and in the makeup stands of Boots and Superdrug, I found budget products to recreate the same lovely looks at a fraction of the price.



I've gone for a classic look with soft warm brown eyeshadow and berry-flushed lips and cheeks, embracing the shades so prevalent at this time of year. 

Every product is less than £10. Many cost less than £5. They're all high quality products in wearable shades. 


The foundation

Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation in Vanilla (£8.99)

Lightweight, blendable and looks like my skin but better - three things that are hard to find with a budget foundation. I'm impressed with the shades too - good pale shades are hard to find under £10 and Vanilla is yellow-toned enough to tone down the pinkiness in my skin. 

The concealer

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in Light (£4.19)

Creamy, blendable and opaque, this disguises my dark circles without any cakiness.

The eyeshadows

Kiko single eyeshadows in Satin Coffee and Pearly Hot Chocolate (£2.90 each)

I'm impressed by how soft and pigmented these are. Satin Coffee (shade 131) is a soft medium brown shade that works with any look, and Pearly Hot Chocolate (shade 133) is a shimmery red-brown that's perfect for this time of year.



The blush

Sleek powder blush in Pomegranate (£4.49)

I've been loving Sleek blushes recently. Pomegranate is a deep warm pink with shimmer, perfect for a 'just been for a walk on a cold day' flush. It's incredibly well pigmented but still blends beautifully.

The eyeliner

Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer (£3.99)

I love these eyeliners. They smudge just the right amount and don't fade. The packaging is really good - surprising for a budget product - I always expect the little smudger and sharpener to fall off but they never have.


The mascara

I'm using Rimmel Wonder'full Waterproof mascara (£7.99) at the moment, but really any will do!

The brow pencil

Rimmel Professional Brow Pencil in Black Brown (£2.99)

This has become my every day brow product. It gives really natural looking brows and stays put all day without needing a setting gel. I'll be buying it forever.

The lipliner

Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in Obsession (£3.99)

I usually don't wear lipliner, but I find that berry lipstick in particular benefits from a precise lip line. This is a beautiful warm pink that can be mixed with balm to create a gorgeous lip stain, or worn under various pink-y or purple-y shades. The matte formula grips onto lips and doesn't budge.

The lipstick

Topshop lipstick in Beguiled (£8)

I think Topshop lipsticks rival MAC's - they're highly pigmented with a brilliant shade range. Beguiled is a beautiful burst-blackberry shade with a semi-matte finish. This is an instance where product quality is noticably higher than packaging - all the coating has come off!
If you can't find Beguiled (some stores stock it, some don't - annoying.) there are a fair few other plummy shades to choose from: Wicked, The Damned and Inhibition will all create that semi-matte berry lip. 


Everything comes to £50.43. 

Thanks for reading! x

No comments:

Post a Comment