Search This Blog

Friday 27 February 2015

Travel part 2: makeup

These clear bags from M&S are so useful for travelling. It's easy to see where everything is and they're easily wiped clean if anything leaks.

Muji travel bottles 
I discovered these the other day and they're brilliant. The flip tops make them much more shower-friendly (no trying in vain to open twist-off caps with slippery hands) and no separate cap means there's nothing to lose (literally).

Anything over 50ml I decant into the Muji bottles. I use one each for cleanser, shampoo, shower gel, and body lotion, plus a little pot filled with makeup remover-soaked cotton pads. 


Body
Shower gel and body lotion get decanted into the Muji bottles. I also take mini cans of deodorant and dry shampoo. 

Face
Cleanser gets decanted into a smaller bottle.
I also take a bottle of Vichy Aqualia Serum, a vial of Trilogy Rosehip Oil for night, and a tube of Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm.

Multi-tasking face cream
for me this means a rich, bland lotion that prevents moisture loss, can be used night and day, and works well on hands and feet. Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream is my current favourite; it's hydrating enough for night, light enough for day, and sinks in really nicely, leaving a lovely base for makeup.

A quick note on spf
I don't wear it in winter. I know I should. But I find the days are so short and dark that I enjoy the rare slivers of winter sunshine immensely, and don't want to cover my skin up completely.

Hair
I'm not precious about my hair at the best of times and even less so when I'm travelling. Styling products can make my fine hair greasy so I just shampoo, occasionally condition, brush through and wrap it in a turban for hands-free drying while I get myself ready. 

Shampoo
Microfibre turban 
Travel hairbrush
Hair bands
Hair grips
Mini dry shampoo

Makeup
What I take depends on what I'm usually wearing. I try to get the most out of what I take with me, which means long-lasting, buildable formulas in natural shades. I go for cream formulas rather than powders so that I don't need to take brushes with me.

Here's what I took:

Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in Porcelain 
My holy grail foundation, this is a perfect match for my skin and looks really natural.

Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla  
This is well-pigmented but never looks cakey. Covers spots and eye bags really well.

Benefit Gimme Brow in Medium/Dark 
Gives natural-looking fuller brows and stays on all day.

Clarins Multi-Blush in Peach 
My go-to blush that goes with every lip colour. A beautiful pinky-peach which creates a lovely natural-looking flush. Lovely on pale skin. The compact case is great for travel.

No7 Shade and Define in Cocoa Bean
Thanks to Alix of I Covet Thee for the recommendation - these are long-lasting and buildable, going from a subtle wash of colour to dark smoky eye in one swipe.

Maybelline The Colossal Volum' Express mascara in Black Waterproof
My go-to mascara.

Bobbi Brown Sheer Lip Colour in Cherry Pink
a soft berry shade, the formula is hydrating with buildable coverage and wears down to a nice stain. Doubles up as blush.

One of the best powders for pale skin. Well-pigmented, slightly mattifying, but not cakey. I usually apply this in the middle of the day as my skin's natural oils peek through my foundation.



Part 3 coming soon...

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment