Search This Blog

Friday 12 February 2016

A pink and glowy Valentine's look


Before and after: my romantic pink Valentine's-inspired look

Despite being in a long-term relationship, Valentine's has never really been our thing. I look forward to the cut-price chocolates and champagne on the 15th much more. But I've seen a lot of really beautiful Valentine's-inspired looks recently and they inspired me to create this romantic pink look. I'll wear it while binge-watching Netflix in my pyjamas and sipping my cheap champagne.


A few tips before starting:

- The highlighter is an important part of this look because it gives skin a beautiful youthful brightness.
- Don't go too heavy on the liner and brows - you want this look to be light and bright.
- Don't be afraid of using a really bright, neon pink eyeshadow. It will look like too much at first, but once it's blended and the lip and cheek colours are on it looks beautiful, and I promise you won't look like a clown.

What you'll need to recreate this look:

- Bright pink matte eyeshadow
- Matte brown eyeshadow
- Matte black eyeshadow or gel eyeliner
- A pink blush that suits your skin tone
- A pink lipstick that's bright enough to work with the eyeshadow
- Cream or powder highlighter
- Brow powder
-Your usual foundation, concealer, and mascara
- Bronzer is optional: I've used a little but it's not essential

Links to the products I've used are at the end of the post.


Deciding which shades to use...

Base

I love this foundation!

First I applied Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer to my whole face and Urban Decay shadow in Naked from the original Naked palette to my lids and crease. I applied l'Oreal Infallible 24H foundation in Porcelain with a damp Real Techniques makeup sponge and l'Oreal Lumi Magique concealer in Light under my eyes to brighten and conceal.

Eyes

I love how bright the Ultra-Mattes shades are.

I applied the darker of the two pink shades from the Sleek Ultra-Mattes V1 palette using my Real Techniques shading brush and blended it across the lid and up onto the crease with a Real Techniques base shadow brush. I added some to my lower lash line intending to do a halo-eye look, but later changed my mind.


Blend blend blend blend blend...

I applied MAC eyeshadow in Embark from the Burgundy x 9 palette to the crease and gave everything a really good blend with the Real Techniques deluxe crease brush. 

Cheeks



I added a little swoosh of l'Oreal Glam Bronze Mono in Golden Sun to my cheeks and temples to coordinate with the matte brown shadow. Next I added some Clarins Multi-Blush in Peach to the tops of my cheekbones to give a little warmth, then applied Sleek powder blush in Guipre (the middle shade from the Lace Blush by 3 palette) to the apples of my cheeks using the Real Techniques blush brush.
Lips


I used Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Liner in Sweet Kiss to add definition to my lips and topped it with Urban Decay Sheer Revolution lipstick in Sheer Ladyflower - it's a well-pigmented, gel-like formula that has a nice bit of shine without being too glossy.

Liner and Highlight


I used the matte black shadow from the Sleek Sunset palette, applied with the Real Techniques liner brush, to give definition to my upper lash line. I went for a very soft winged liner in keeping with the romantic idea of the look. I added some highlight (you can use the same highlighter you'll be using for your face) using Sin from the Urban Decay original Naked palette to the inner corners of my eyes using the Real Techniques accent brush. 

I love how '90's this looks without any brow product

At some point I got around to curling my lashes - which I meant to do earlier - and put on some mascara.

Brows and highlighter

Getting my glow on

I used the grey brow powder from the Topshop Brow Palette in Whatever applied with the Real Techniques brow brush for softly defined brows, and patted Topshop Glow Highlighter in Polish onto my cheekbones.

Powder and finishing touches


I set my makeup with some MAC Studio Sculpt Defining Powder in Light, using the Real Techniques buffing brush for a natural-looking finish.

I then cleaned up the outer corners of my eyes with micellar water and cotton buds, added highlighter under my brows, and applied little more liner.


Done!




I think that you'll agree that the pink eyeshadow looks lovely once the look is finished. I find that using similar bright shades on different points of the face gives a unifying effect - no part of my makeup looks too bright or out of place because all those lovely pink shades are working in harmony. How romantic!

Products 

Brushes etc.
 Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge | blush brush and buffing brush from the Real Techniques Core Collection | base shadow brush, deluxe crease brush, accent brush, liner brush and brow brush from the Real Techniques Starter Set | Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water for tidying up

Thanks for reading - I hope you'll try out this look! x

No comments:

Post a Comment