Search This Blog

Monday 4 July 2016

A Sun-Kissed Glow for Vampires


Tanned skin suggests health, wealth and relaxation, and we've been craving it since Coco Chanel popularised it in the 1920's. But how to achieve that when you're vampire-level pale without sacrificing skin health lying on a beach for two weeks or (god forbid) resorting to tanning beds?

(I'd planned to publish this months ago, which is why I'm wearing my winter coat - but considering the recent wet weather in London, it's even more relevant now!)


Ten minutes in the sun and my skin starts to itch and redden, such is its sensitivity. From April onwards I keep a little bottle of Factor 30 in my bag at all times. The skin is the body's biggest organ and sunscreen is the best anti-aging product there is - it makes sense to protect it now rather than suffer irreversible damage later!

Which is where bronzer comes in.

Bronzer is so versatile - a quick sweep in a '3' shape to the sides of your face can enhance any look -it's such a useful product to have in your makeup bag. But I'm not a fan of a heavily contoured look and I actually think a bit of softness in the face looks far more youthful than chiselled cheekbones.

In this look I've used bronzer as shadow, contour, cheek colour and setting powder to show the distance it can go.

Is bronzer for pale skin hard to find?

Yes and no. High end brands that cater to the ends of the shade spectrum typically ignored by drugstore ranges (think Bobbi Brown, MAC, Illamasqua) make bronzers for pale skins. In my experience drugstore bronzers tend towards the dark and orange-y, but there are a few exceptions - if you don't want to splash out, try l'Oreal Glam Bronze Mono in Blonde Sun. It's a matte bronzer that will set you back £7.99. It lasts for ages and it's what I'm wearing here.

Here's how I fake a tan. 

Base

 

I primed my skin with Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer and curled my lashes, then used l'Oreal Infallible 24H Foundation in Porcelain, applied with a damp Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge,followed by Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla.

Bronzer


I used l'Oreal Glam Bronze Mono in Blonde Sun on my eyelids, crease and lower lash line using the Real Techniques deluxe crease brush. I put some powder through my brows at this point - I've got a bit sick of looking at my natural sparse brows while editing photos!

I used the Real Techniques buffing brush to apply bronzer to my the hollows of my cheeks (to the extent that I have them) my temples, jawline, chin, the bridge of my nose and across my cheeks. The result is a wash of warmth rather than a heavy 'line' of contour.

Blush


To get a little more life into my cheeks I added a bright coral blush (Maybelline Dream Touch blush in shade 06 Berry) to the tops of my cheekbones and blended with the buffing brush.

Highlighter


The came highlighter - I patted on Topshop Glow Highlighter in Polish it to my cheekbones, undereyes, browbone and inner corner of my lids.

Eyeliner


I lined my upper lashline with Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer in Rich Brown, smudging it out to give a soft finish. In keeping with the warmth of this look I chose brown rather than black.

Lips


A coat of Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof on my lashes and a slick of beautiful Nars Sheer Lipstick in Mayflower finished the look.

I set everything with a veil of bronzer in the place of powder (really getting the most out of it!) and went outside where the light was much better.


Thanks for reading!


Products:




No comments:

Post a Comment