Search This Blog

Friday 10 April 2015

Superdrug haul



On Tuesday I popped into town and picked up a few makeup-y bits from Superdrug. I don't usually shop there because 1. going to Boots means I can pick up points on my advantage card 2. It usually smells of overly sweet celebrity perfume and 3. I worked there when I was 16 so I never wanted to spend more time there than I had to.

But I've been pleasantly surprised the last few times I've been in. There's a really good range of brands with a lot of shades available. I went in for some Co-lab dry shampoo and some eyeliner - naturally I came out with twice as many things!


Co-lab Extreme Volume dry shampoo

I've heard so many good reviews of Co-lab's dry shampoos. I was excited to try one that didn't leave a white powdery residue, making me look prematurely grey. I was restrained enough to keep using the stockpiled Batiste dry shampoo I have, but when I learned that Co-lab has a volumising range, I knew I had to get my hands on it. I don't know how this compares to their non-volumising range, but I'm seriously impressed by it. The Extreme Volume range gives a good amount texture and hold, giving the hair a nice piece-y texture while still soaking up greasiness. The fact that it sprays on clear makes it much quicker and easier to use - no more asking my boyfriend if there are white patches on the back of my hair. 

£2.49 for 50ml; available at Superdrug


Rimmel 60 Second Super Shine nail polish




I adore bright yellow nail polish. I have no idea why - I usually prefer neutrals to brights, but for some reason I just love yellow. It has to be the right shade though; no weedy pale pastels or acidic shades the colour of highlighters. Rimmel's Bee A Honey is the perfect shade for me. It's a bright, warm, buttery yellow. The polish has a nice consistency: it's fairly thick without being gloopy, it applied smoothly, and it didn't pool around my cuticles. I needed three coats to get an opaque finish but every coat evened out well, leaving a smooth surface (something that can be hard to find with cheaper brands). The brush is genius - it's wide, flat, and covers the nail in one stroke. In these photos I'd been wearing it for three days with no top coat. It has chipped a tiny bit but has held up well. 

£2.99 for 8ml; available at Superdrug and Boots


Bourjois Smoky Stories eyeshadow in Rock This Khaki



I'd been after a green eyeshadow for a while but had never found the right one. I wanted a deep, matte khaki shade. I finally found it with the darkest shade in this Bourjois palette. Although I bought it for one shade, I've found the lighter matte shades really lovely. The shimmer shade is a bit of a let down - the glitter gets all over the place and it's not very pigmented. However, the texture of the three darker shades rivals high-end shadows. They're smooth and buttery and they blend wonderfully. As you can see from the photo, the darker two shades have a brown base, which makes them less 'full on' than a lot of coloured shadows. As someone who usually sticks to brown and bronze shades, these remind me of how wearable coloured shadow can be. The dark greens look amazing with a plum lipstick; a soft dusky pink will look great with all of them.

£7.99; available at Superdrug and Boots


Collection Fast Stroke eyeliner in Black



After Kate of gh0stparties gave this eyeliner a great review (and looked so amazing in it) I'd been wanting to give it a try. It's one of the most foolproof liners I've ever used (the other being Rimmel's Scandaleyes Micro Eyeliner, which has a tiny little nib but dries out quickly). After using crayons and felt-tip style liners for a long time it was strange to use a liner that actually feels 'wet' on the lids. It does take a little while to dry, but once it's set it doesn't smudge or flake. The liner is a dark, dense matte black and the little nib is wonderful; it has just the right amount of flexibility, drawing a smooth, precise line.

£2.99; available at Superdrug and Boots


Thanks for reading! x

No comments:

Post a Comment